Search This Blog

Saturday, June 17, 2006

A Little Nostalgia

Every Saturday after sweating it out at the KSCA badminton courts, I make it a point to walk into the stadium, sit near the pavilion, and just gaze at the lush green out field and the empty stands. Sometimes, I am walk in and see kids practicing or in a game, but still that green out field and the empty stands have my full attention.

Every single time I sit there, it takes me back in time to the first time I ever set my foot in the stadium. I went there with huge expectations on the 4th day of the final test match between India and Australia in 1998. It turned out to be a sorry day for the ardent Indian fan and a die-hard Azhar fan, to see India lose that test. Nonetheless, it is a moment I will always cherish, for as I stepped into the stadium and see the lush green out field and a boisterous crowd just left me overawed. It was a feeling that is beyond words.

Now, as I sit here in the KSCA stands and jotting my thoughts down. I cannot help feel that every time I walk though the narrow passage into the stadium, it feels like I am walking back in time. To the days of my childhood, to this cricket crazy childhood, which is best described in my dad’s words, “He is crazy enough to stop everything and even watch little kids playing cricket on the street”. Well, it was time to walk back past the passageway, into the present.

No comments: